Sheryl and Sons

Sheryl and Sons
I told you they were big.

Monday, September 17, 2012

My Teachable Moment

     I was all about the Teachable Moment.  I read in one of my parenting books that I should find opportunities in our daily lives to point out good and bad examples of behavior.  When the boys were young, I used every opening to offer my valuable advice.  
     "See that man chewing with his mouth open?  Yuck!  I'm glad I'm eating with my handsome son who chews with his mouth closed!"
     "I saw Justin didn't wear a jacket to school today.  I bet he was really cold at recess!  I'm so glad you were smart enough to dress warmly!"
     "That was a great home run that Tommy hit today!  I think he's seeing the ball so much better since he got a haircut!"
     I thought I was so clever.  By pointing out other people's behavior, I was secretly indoctrinating my children.  It seemed far better than constantly repeating, "Close your mouth when you chew. Wear a jacket. Get a haircut."
     I thought the boys were unaware of my sneaky tactics, until one day when we drove our neighbor  home from Hebrew school.  When the boy opened the door to get out, my son leaned over and whispered to him, "Make sure you say, 'Thank you' or my mom will talk about you behind your back."



2 comments:

Janet said...

Great story! I love your blog!

Sheryl Cohen Solomon said...

Thanks, Janet!