Sheryl and Sons

Sheryl and Sons
I told you they were big.

Monday, April 23, 2012

What to Wear?

I'm 52 years old.  In the world of fashion, it is an awkward in-between age.  It reminds me of when I was 13 and was too old for the Girls department but couldn't fill out the sweaters in Juniors.  At least then I had something to look forward to.

As I imagine my 52-year-old self in all the cutest summer ensembles, I know that I am not their target market, but how far from the bullseye am I?  I look at what the mannequin is wearing, and try to judge how old she is supposed to be.  Without crow's feet, gray hair or a sagging bustline, it's hard to tell.  But I stare at each mannequin as if I am in a museum studying a great work of art, all the while thinking to myself, "Is that outfit too young for me?"

I can't seem to find anyone who knows the 50ish fashion rules.  My friends are mostly in denial.  My husband, who bless his heart, still thinks I look like a blushing bride, tells me I'm being silly.  My mother has a vested interest in my continuing youth and has taken to telling people I'm my father's daughter from his first marriage.

Sometimes it is obvious.  I appreciate a store called Forever 21 because they make it very clear.  Stores should have ratings, like movies, so we would know.  There's nothing more frustrating than going into a fitting room with an armful of clothes and realizing that the pants are much too low cut and the scoop necks are much too scoopy.  I can't imagine under what circumstances I would intentionally show my belly button.

But even stores that I would assume are looking for the likes of me are confusing.  Do 50-year old women wear shorts?  In public?  I think I still look fine in them, as fine as I ever looked, anyway.  My varicose veins are worse each year, but with a little Jergens "tan in a tube" I think they are less noticeable.  Of course my eyesight has deteriorated and I think that helps.

These are the rare moments when I wish I had a daughter.  My fantasy daughter would not let me walk out of the house in a bad outfit.  She would come shopping with me and find the perfect age appropriate choices.  She would bluntly say, "You look like a hooker," or "Those pants make your butt look huge," and I would be grateful for the feedback.

Wouldn't I?

No comments: